Join us Wednesday, April 22 for Earth Day, when events are held worldwide to support environmental protection and preservation. Here are 6 ways that you can get involved.
1. Attend an event. See if any special events are going on in your community for Earth Day. It may be too late to volunteer, but you always can attend.
2. Plant a tree. Either by yourself or with your club members, take time to plant a new tree. Planting trees helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, cleans pollution, secures soil to prevent erosion and provides homes for biodiversity.
3. Reduce, reuse and recycle. Jumpstart a good practice. Go out of your way to produce as little trash as possible. Do little things such as carrying a cloth bag to the store to replace plastic bags.
4. Donate what you don’t want or need anymore. Instead of throwing away old clothes, lamps and board games, donate them to Goodwill, a shelter or similar places.
5. Clean up trash. Whether it’s at your school, a park or someplace else, get together with some friends to clean up litter. Make sure you have gloves!
6. Reduce your carbon footprint. Limit how many lights you have on in the house, especially if you aren’t using them. Don’t let the water run when you are brushing your teeth. If you have a bike, ride it as much as possible. If you must use a car, carpool with someone else.