Lead > Become A Leader > Lead at the District or Divisional Level > District secretary's duties
District secretary’s duties
The district secretary is an important role for the successful functioning of a district board. The person who fulfills this role should be organized, reliable, enjoy regular communications with fellow board members and understand the importance of meeting deadlines. The district secretary is the go-to person for records and reports and, therefore, should understand how Key Club functions at the club and district level.
Duties and responsibilities
- Prepare and distribute communiqués to club secretaries and communiqués to the district board. Cover important topics in a timely manner.
- Develop materials for and conduct a club secretary’s workshop at the district convention at the end of his/her term of office.
- Distribute copies of all district board minutes to district board officers and the Kiwanis International Office.
- Attend required meetings and events.
- Present a secretary’s report at all official board meetings.
- Compile the final reports of all the committees of the district board at the end of his/her term of office.
- Produce and distribute a club officer directory to clubs and district officers within specified time limits, and produce addendums to the club officer directory as needed.
- Demonstrate a strong relationship with the board liaison by sending all copies of the district secretary’s board newsletter to the liaison and communicating at least once per month with him/her.
- Strive to make all communications timely, well written, free of mistakes and follow the Key Club graphics standards.
In order to earn the Distinguished District Secretary’s Award, the district secretary should fulfill the above expectations, hold the office for at least 10 months and perform at least 50 hours of service to home, school and community through Key Club activities.
For specific deadlines and point values, please see Distinguished District Secretary’s Award section of the Key Club Guidebook.